Friday, April 10, 2009

Actors Are Better Than Techies Part 1: Meredith Willson's The Music Man

Ah! I haven't blogged in a while! But that's okay because I have a good reason...sort of. This is because I just recently was in a musical at my school which closed this past weekend. Meredith Willson's The Music Man closed last Sunday, and I may have recently gotten over my Post-Show-Depression-Syndrome...ok not really. MWMM had a very good run with talks from some audience members saying that this is one of the best shows at St. Joe's (my high school) in a long time. As an actor (and being Harold Hill in the show which meant that was on stage for most of the time) I can see shows that have been better and those shows for a little closer than a long time. But, I understand if I did a good job (no ego intended...sorry!).
As a whole, the show came together very well with spot-on performances by the ensemble in Rock Island (very impressive guys!) and the dancers in Marian the Librarian. The minor flaw was the set changes (could've worked on them a little more, but maybe actors got in the way a little) and one of my costume changes which sucked as it took FOREVER. AND IT WAS JUST A VEST! That was a whole lot of dumb on my part, but the vest did look nice.
The show also had many laughable parts to it with the audience chuckling to the end. And finally, the show was rounded out enough with the laughs in contrast to the more touching scenes between Harold and Marian.
Okay, now to burst my ego. Out of the three shows, my Saturday performance sucked. I forgot choreography and lines and a prop. Of course, I did go on stage in a scene I wasn't supposed to. Wow, I was dumb (in retrospect I'm laughing about everything though since I covered well...I hope). It was interesting to notice everyone's reactions on stage when different improv movements were done (just another talent from the lovable actor). And finally, the show entertained the masses and I couldnt ask for a better cast family to enjoy my last show at St. Joe's with.

P
C

No comments:

Post a Comment