Friday, August 28, 2009

Day Three and JB

Day three of my vacation was 9 to 5 again:

It’s so interesting how the show changes every time you see it. For instance, Megan was much more ticked at Hart during the rooster to a hen scene and she played Backwoods Barbie more lightly- not as deeply offended as last time. Marc’s chair fell completely back during the second time it malfunctions this time. Fri, that happened the first time he did it. It must happen a lot. Get Out and Stay Out wasn’t quite as intense emotionally, but the end belt was better (if that’s even humanly possible.)

Then, we stage doored. Stephanie came out first again. When she got to us, I said something about being at the Birdland [small jazz club in the city where lots of Broadway stars have concerts] concert tomorrow and then asked if she had gotten the scrapbook we made her for opening night. “Oh my gosh, yes. You guys put so much work into that. And the handprint on my heart thing? [the theme was "handprint on my heart" (she'd been in Wicked) and we all had a heart w/ a handprint on it somewhere on our pages.] Come on, come on!” *Picture* “I’ll see you tomorrow!” And she moved on.

Got a picture with Tory Ross [who said they’re planning another Daphne video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKl226oeghg- Daphne is a minor character in 9 to 5 w/a couple lines who they decided to make a music video for. Lol! Andy Karl directed (and is singing in the background)] and Megan, and then decided to leave. “Wait, Jess, could you get a picture of ME with Stephanie?” Hahaha, I love you Daddy. She was at the end of the line still signing and taking pics, so he got up beside her and I took the picture. She goes, “See you tomorrow!” And left.
We ran down to Rockefeller Center and hung for awhile. Hit the M&Ms store. Got pizza. Came back to the hotel.

Sorry yesterday's was so ridiculously long. I had to document every moment. Haha.

Philip- CONGRATS! Good luck in your show.

JB- I'm reading it now, almost done. It's in verse- reminds me of Waiting for Godot or Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. There are two main male characters (Mr. Zuss and Mr. Nickles) who decide they are going to put on the story of Job. [show in a show- now THERE'S a new concept!] But it's not as simple as they usually are. For instance, when they are deciding who will play who, Mr. Zuss decides to play God (which is why he's "zuss" --> "zeus" I'm assuming) and Mr. Nickles plays the Devil, but he origionally wants to be Job. He wonders where they will find a Job, and Mr. Zuss says: "All we have to do is start. Job will join us. Job will be there." To which Mr. Nickles replies: "I know. I know. I know. I've seen him. Job is everywhere we go. His children dead, his work for nothing... (he continues listing Job's ills.)" Sure enough, as soon as they start, Job appears. So, it's more symbolic and the language is deeper than, say, A Chorus Line, Title of Show, The Phantom of the Opera or any other show within shows I can think of. It's a good read, but not the first show I'd recommend picking up for fun.

And ps- Philip- I'm just doing crew. :)

In other, sadder news, 9 to 5 closes in 9 days. D:

Fourth day of my vaca (the Broadway part) in the next update.

Till then,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment