Saturday, August 15, 2009

New York!!

So, I've simply been insanely lazy. I have no excuse for not updating, especially since I went to NEW YORK this summer! Here's what I wrote while I was there, copied from my trip diary:

First up: 9 to 5. [Marriot Marquis- staring Allison Janney, Stephanie J. Block, Megan Hilty, Marc Kudisch]

Photobucket


It was incredible. One of (if not) my only major freak out happened when I saw Stephanie come onstage and hide behind the mob of ensemble. I was squeezing dad’s arm and he had no idea why. *Shrug* Most of the show was the same as LA except for the cut songs and the addition of “I Just Might,” “Always a Woman (or something like that)” and “Change It” which I had seen a clip of on youtube (BEFORE I knew I was seeing the show live. Don’t judge.) A few lines were changed and some jokes were added. Altogether, it was a clearer show.

And then. Get Out and Stay Out happened. [Big 11 o'clock number Stephanie sings @ end of show] *Faints* She outright screamed a few of the lines. It was so much more intense. LOVE. And then… it was over. Sad… no WAIT. This is when stage door happens!

Stephanie came out first. I said something about my birthday present being her Birdland concert. She asked me how old I was turning, and I said 16. Something along the lines of, “oh, that’s great.” And then we took a picture. And then she moved on. Then Megan came out. We chatted a bit, she signed, picture, and then went to take a BAZILLION pictures with every single person there. She was there forever.

Next- Marc. Honestly, I hadn’t been that excited to meet him. I didn’t agree with him on a lot of issues and he just seemed like a really intimidating person. He was BRILLIANT on stage, though. When he got over to us, I told him this was my birthday present. “How old are you turning?” “16.” “Really?” *Nods* “Really?” “I promise.” “Well, for that,” and he drew a mustache and side burns on to the little picture of him on the poster. Then we took a picture. He was such a sweetheart. Then he sped off on his motorcycle. Hahaha. Allison wasn’t coming out, we were informed, so we left.

Maybe I'll do one show at a time. Make it all soap opera-y. Stay tuned: Next day is Blithe Spirit [Angela. Lansbury. Second. Row.] Broadway Barks, and Next to Normal!

Annnnd in other news: 9 to 5 is closing! WTC, theatre world??? The show is so much fun w/ an amazing cast. Stupid Tonys. I refuse to blame RoA, but I will blame the Tonys. And all the lame people that didn't go see it. Seriously, if you can, go, it's spectacular.

The funny thing about closing was that the day closing was announced, I found FIVE different projects to be a part of as presents for the cast. In one of them, we wrote letters to the cast and crew- one for every performance from a month until closing (it's closing Sep. 6). We just got word the cast and crew gathers and reads the letters before each performance. How sweet is that???

Anyway, spread the 9 to 5 love, see it before it closes. Here's a quick vid that cannot capture the awesomeness, but it tries: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQLnxZ_w3Q

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment