Friday, August 21, 2009

New Place New Plays

Finally, my first post in my luxurious (word used loosely) dorm room at Winthrop University. Here, I plan to (whilst blogging constantly) work on my degree in theatre performance. Which includes my auditioning for plays including the play Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead. The play is an unauthorized parody of the Peanuts comic strip. Here, the kids are in high school...and horribly dysfunctional. The dramedy starts off with Charlie Brown (known as CB in the play) writing to his pen pal about Snoopy who had just died of rabies. This is when he begins to really think about the idea of the afterlife. He then tries to talk about it with his other friends including Van's sister (the character of Lucy...so I guess you can figure out who Van is) who is in an apparent mental institution after setting fire to Van's blanket. The response from all is clear ignorance as none really care, until CB talks to one kid, Beethoven. This piano player (please tell me you who this is) is shunned from his friends due to his controversial sexuality which discomforts the others. But his conversation with CB really consoles him and he is able to finally come to terms with all in the end with CB's final monologue...a letter to his pen pal. This tale brings life to a somewhat halt with its unthinkable twist on this simple comic strip. I've only read a little so far and its amazing beyond words, definitely a play I would be honored to be in...which is why I'm auditioning. Wish me luck and explain the rest of the play in a later post. I still have to finish my summer reading. Oops.

P
C

No comments:

Post a Comment